Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Greenberg

For a while now, I had my mind made up that I wanted to see the movie Greenberg. Although only released via Independent theaters downtown here in Houston, it finally made it's way to OnDemand.


Plot: The movie features a serious role for Ben Stiller, who plays Roger Greenberg. After getting out of a mental hospital for trying to kill himself in NYC, he goes to house-sit his successful/rich brother's house in L.A. While there, he tries to connect with some old friends/bandmates, but finds himself hanging out with his brother's assistant, Florence, instead. While Greenberg is a bit of a lost soul with too many issues to count, he finally realizes that Florence (in all her awkwardness...seriously... what an awkward character) is just what he needs to find happiness. 


After seeing it the other day, it was one of those movies where I wasn't instantly overjoyed with it (although I did like it and it kept me entertained), but rather I kept thinking about it for a while after I was finished. The more I thought about what the movie was conveying and particular vignettes and phrases within the plot, the more I fancied it even further. 


Ben Stiller really does a good job of playing the role, too. From cocaine binges at house parties to being a typical OCD asshole to the one he loves, his role as a fucked-up but good-at-heart character is really believable. 


Check it out. It comes out on DVD July 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment