Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The September Issue

Have you seen it? It is SO GOOD, especially if you enjoy documentaries as much as I do. I remember going to a little movie theater in Dallas by myself about a year and a half ago (wow, I have been in Houston officially for a year) to see it, and no one was there. It only aired in about 5 cities across the U.S., and of course Dallas was one of them, and definitely the only one in Texas. I think that’s why every time I mention it to someone in Houston that they have no idea what I am talking about.




Everyone knows that in fashion, Fall is everything. As stated in the documentary, the month of September is basically the January of fashion. It’s a time to reinvent ourselves, where all of the new looks boldly make their debuts down the runway, and when everyone goes back to school shopping. The September issue of Vogue (and now many other magazines that have followed in their footsteps) is always the largest and most intense issue of the year. If you couldn’t make the connection by now, The September Issue captures every step of the way in designing and editing the coveted magazine, led by editor-in-chief Anna Wintour.


Still doesn’t ring a bell? She is the chick that everyone said The Devil Wears Prada was about (and no, not Anne Hathaway- Meryl Streep). While I expected nothing but a cold-hard bitch throughout the film, Anna actually does smile, but it is quite evident that you don’t want to cross her path, and she dare not waste her time with anyone that is of no importance to her.


A picture of Anna, but it’s a really good one. Prolly 10 years old.

Anna has even scared her daughter away from the fashion industry, and states directly that her family finds what she does to be “quite amusing.” However, in my opinion, fierce red-head and Vogue’s creative director Grace Coddington steals the show, hands down. While the first couple of glances of her perplexed me greatly in how she would ever work at Vogue looking like such a hot mess, the documentary later reveals that she used to model (and wow was she beautiful) but then got into a car crash and had to have a lot of reconstructive surgeries on her eye. I loved her even more because she was the only person in the film to stand up to Anna in editing decisions, though she sadly lost almost all of her battles, one resulting in her almost breaking down into tears at 60 years of age. She produced photo shoots that were so amazingly beautiful I couldn’t believe it – I would have cried too. She is truly truly and artist and is someone that I would lock in a room if I knew her so I could hear her stories all day. Added bonus: she’s hilarious, which seems to be a rarity in that crowd.


Good ole Grace

Bottom Line: If you are remotely interested in fashion, it’s a must to watch it.


http://www.theseptemberissue.com/theatrical.html









No comments:

Post a Comment