Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Crossing Neil Young Off My Bucket List

He's too ugly to have sex with, so I did the next best thing and FINALLY saw him live the other week here in Houston. Seeing Neil Young live has been on my bucket list since I was about in the 8th grade, and moved to the top of the list after I started playing the harmonica about 5 years ago. 

Neil played an acoustic set at Jones Hall (which was a cool choice in venue) and was completely solo- just him and the stage that was equipped with 5 guitars, 2 pianos, an organ, and of course his harmonica. I brought my dad as a hot date and overpaid an insane amount for the tickets, but the show truly exceeded all of my expectations. 


I know that his show had been getting good reviews, but you never know how a music legend is going to sound in the flesh - especially a 65 year old burnt out hippie. In my opinion, he sounded better live at age 65 than he did when he was 26 on the Live At Massey Hall album.

He played many of the greats: Cinnamon Girl, Old Man, Ohio, Southern Man, Cowgirl in the Sand, After the Gold Rush, Like a Hurricane, Rockin' in the Free World, Down by the River, etc.

But also left many classics out, namely Heart of Gold and The Needle and the Damage Done (the latter being my favorite, which I was very disappointed about).  But I can't blame the guy-- if I had to play the same fucking song over and over again (especially Heart of Gold) for 40 years straight I would jump off the ledge.

I could ramble for hours about this, but bottom line is:

Cheers to you, Neil Young, for putting on a show that was one of the best shows I've seen and facilitating the best night I've had in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment