Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pride, Not Prejudice

Although a native Houstonian, I have yet to ever attend the Houston Gay Pride Parade. That is, until tonight. I was out furniture shopping today with a friend when one of the old hippies that owns a shop on Westheimer warned us to move our car before too long in lieu of the parade.
100_0560.JPG.jpg

I was down for going immediately. A couple of friends and I decided to grab some margaritas and check it out. What a riot! Over 150,000 people in the Montrose area - apparently one of the biggest gay parades in the nation. 

There were floats, there were beads (many of which were thrown and ended up hitting the side of my head... the heavier ones hurt), there was the Mayor of Houston, etc. White trash families, trannys of all shapes and sizes, ripped guys in speedos with huge socks stuffed in them, and girls with baggy shirts and sagging pants were all completed with the Grand Marshall being none other than Mr. Andy Cohen from Bravo. Being the shameless, Bravo-obsessed wanker that I am, I knew that I had to make a B-line when Andy drove by in the parade.  

As his car approached, I handed my camera to my friend and specifically said, "Don't fuck this up, or I'll kill you." I ran into the middle of the parade and up to his car and shook his hand and screamed, "HI ANDY!" 
The next 20 seconds consisted of an extremely profound conversation:
Andy: "Hi, how are you?"
Me: "I'm good, how are you?"
Andy: "I'm great, thank you."
Me: "You're so awesome- I'm obsessed with you."
Andy: "Aww, you're sweet. Thanks for coming out tonight."
Me: "No, thank you! I'm so excited!"

This is when he took the time for a photo opp knowing that my challenged friend was taking a picture. And this is the amazing result:
100_0572.JPG.jpg

Way to go, [friend's name]. You fucked it up! Thankfully for everyone, I didn't kill her. I didn't want blood on my top and certainly didn't want to ruin the good time that the gays were having. And even though Andy probably thought I was a raging lesbian, he was SUPER nice. 

Andy, you get my Mazel of the Week!

Here are some top pictures (that are appropriate):
100_0580.JPG.jpg


100_0599.JPG.jpg
"2-4-6-8, How do you know your grandma's straight?"

100_0602.JPG.jpg

100_0604.JPG.jpg
The Disco Mobile

100_0606.JPG.jpg
"Screw the Moon, we're going to Uranus!"

100_0638.JPG.jpg
"Be Free from HIV"

100_0661.JPG.jpg

I'll absolutely be going back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment