Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Korean Chronicles, Part 1


In an attempt to document my voyage to Korea, I thought I would include the highlights of the journey.  I got back about 3 weeks ago and definitely experienced some great things (and not so great things) during my first trip to Asia.  Enjoy.
________________________________________________________________


Whew. What a journey it was getting here. My flight to LA wasnt bad at all-- i sat next to this guy who is in the navy and we just talked the whole time, but the flight was late so i almost missed my flight to Seoul-- i was the last one to board, and we had to take a bus to get on the plane.

Where do I start? this place is really interesting. very...ASIAN. The mountains and the ocean are absolutely beautiful and it seems like a cool little town. The weather is amazing. he has all his windows open and im chilly in leggings and a long sleeved shirt.  I see the mountains out of the window from laying in bed.  you should have seen me hiking to this place with all of my luggage in tow-- and then he lives on the 4th floor with no elevator (note to self: pack lightly)!  i almost passed out: 
a) from being so tired im not quite sure what to do with myself, and  
b) because i didnt touch that Korean airline food. 

The first "vegetarian" meal was literally a whole tomato (not chopped or anything) and 3 pieces of soggy airline asparagus with white rice that was mixed with this cream sauce that remarkably tasted like blood.  ten hours later they served breakfast which was runny eggs and korean pancakes and i didnt even get a tray because i was so revolted from round one.  the entire plane smelled like a daycare (syrup, anyone?).  the man next to me kept making a sound like he had something in his teeth and scratching his balls and groaning about every 15 minutes. 

I slept a total of about 3 hours during my 30 hours of traveling-- im an absolute idiot and left my sleepy medicine in my big bag.  anyways, by the time i got to the seoul airport i had absolutely no clue where i was going or what to do and everyone kept sending me in different directions. I was power walking through the airport so fast since i was lost as hell and so nervous about everything that i started sweating profusely through my black long top, which then caused it to bleed all over my upper body. So not only was i looking like i was coming off of a heroin overdose, it also looked like i had uncontrollable amounts of chest hair all over my neck and chest.  blonde ape woman, coming through!
I finally calmed down and got to my window, to which they told me they didnt have a ticket number for me and i wasnt in the system, so naturally, my black hairy neck broke out into hives and i about teared up. Finally they found me about 20 minutes later (i guess, since i couldnt understand an effing word) and made it just fine on the last leg of my trip to Busan. 

As soon as i stepped off of that plane in Busan (where i am staying now), i got my luggage and was harrassed by a man that kept saying "tassle? tassle?" i was like... "umm no, thanks" but after realizing that there was no formal taxi system (small airport), i thought ohhhh hes trying to say taxi. I felt really shady about it but figured what the hell and got in. he took me to where i needed to go and so i began my journey to my destination.
This apartment is really cute (and small!)-- all old hardwood floors, cute little kitchen, incredible views, glassed in porch, etc. However, the second i sat on the bed i think my ass broke in half because its SO hard. It probably wont affect my sleeping tonight, but i can forsee that as a potential problem within the next coming nights.




Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment